Thursday, March 23, 2017

March is Women's History Month. So...


Rupi Kaur is a Canadian feminist poet, writer, and spoken word artist. She is popularly known as an "Instapoet" for the traction she gains from posting her poems online, with Instagram being her primary platform. She published a book of poetry and prose entitled milk and honey in 2015, which features themes of violence, abuse, love, loss, and femininity.

These short but powerful poems I have brought today are from this beautiful and riveting collection of poetry, which, if you haven’t had the opportunity to read, I highly suggest you check it out. You will not be disappointed.





Over this past Spring Break, I spent some of my free time watching a TV show called The Tudors, which loosely depicts the reign of King Henry VIII of England, even though most of it was filmed in Ireland. I had already watched the entire show before, but when I came back to it, I became enraptured again--and for a while, I couldn’t figure out why I loved it so much. Then I realized, it was the women. With all the suffocating confinements women were dealt at that time, the show never fails to get my blood boiling! Although after seeing how things used to be,I think it is good to look at where we’ve come and see where we are. But even so, we are in no way perfect. Even now there there are all kinds of standards for women. But the sad thing is that often times, it is women pitting against other women. Which leads me to Kaur’s next poem in milk and honey.












































No comments:

Post a Comment