Thursday, April 20, 2017

Book Suggestion


Heya guys!

So, I haven't done this a while.

With finals quickly approaching (YAY), I'm currently working to complete all kinds of end-of-the-semester projects and essays. This means I'll start having more time to myself again (YAY).

So, I started re-reading some books I've enjoyed in the past. Now, let's take a fast trip down memory lane--back to the world of fan fiction.

Yes, I said it.

Fan. Fiction.

Back many, many moons, in my early high school days when Twilight was a sensation, there was a fanfiction I found that was like discovering treasure. It was SO GOOD. But, it wasn't finished at that time so I went on to read other fanfiction, but of course I've never forgotten it.

Years later, when 50 Shades of Grey was published, I did some research and found that a lot of Twilight fanfics were being published. I will say that those fanfics had the most variety, that writers really were able to take characters from the franchise and make them their own. Anyhow, I immediately thought of the story I read so long ago -- originally titled "Emancipation Proclamation" and practically screamed when I saw that it, too, was published under a different name.

Siempre (Forever), by J. M. Darhower.

I have to say that this is one of my favorite books. The writing is so well-done, the characters are enthralling, the story is breathtaking, and the message relayed behind it is so frightening real. Here's the opening to the book, the first bit of writing you, the reader, sees from the author:


I just have to share it with you guys because I think the message behind the fictional story is just so important and happening in our world, right now. Since I can't even put into words how I feel about this book, I'm going to share some reviews with you guys from Goodreads:

(keep in mind that I am in no way profiting from sharing this with ya'll. I just really, really love this book and thought I'd share it)

'Alex is the Romance' shared:

I absolutely loved this book. The title totally stunning…everything about this story is in some way summed up in that title!

It’s Godfather & Cinderella!!
It’s thought-provoking.
It’s about love.
It’s about teenage angst.
It’s about family love.
It’s about loss.
It’s about the challenges in life.
It’s about human slavery, the mafia.
It’s about loyalty.
It’s about sacrifices.
It’s about heartbreak
It’s about murder.

Even after a week, I am still thinking about the story, the writing and the characters.


'Kristin (KC)' shared:

Sempre is not your average feel-good love story. It is a gritty portrayal of various harsh realities and agonizing circumstances. Although my heart broke for the majority of this story, I enjoyed it immensely and found it both inspirational and humbling. I also found a new respect for individuals born into dreadful conditions beyond their control. 


'Christy' shared:

This book captivated me from the beginning. What a story. A story about choices, sacrificing everything for the ones you love, intense true love, throw in some human trafficking/slavery and mafia connections.
It was heartbreaking at times, but I loved the story and loved the characters (Carmine and Haven) it shows sometimes you are born into a certain life and many things are beyond your control, but sometimes two people who appear to come from totally different worlds can have more ties to each other than imaginable. 
I would recommend this book to everyone! Only have good things to say about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment